What Is DEO?
Datapages Exploration Objects] – DEO – is a web-based search-and-retrieval system that enables exploration geologists to find and retrieve geo-referenced, GIS-ready maps, cross-sections, seismic lines and other exploration objects faster and more easily than ever before. ]
Who uses DEO?
DEO is used by the organizations and personnel it was designed for: explorationists, exploration geology GIS specialists, and organizations large and small that depend on exploration geology.
How does DEO work?
The key: we’ve isolated, geo-rectified and indexed maps, figures, cross-sections, seismic lines and other exploration objects from articles published by the American Association of Petroleum Geologists and a continually growing list of content partners – now including more than 55 allied petroleum geology organizations – all captured in the vast, electronic AAPG Datapages Archives.
The DEO index currently includes more than half a million entries, with some 385,000 captioned figures, 67,000 tables, and every map in the Archives published since 1989. Newly added: 10,000 cross-sections and seismic lines – and a doubling of content covering Mexico.
DEO mines this deep index with the power and speed of the latest information technology – putting a whole new world of exploration objects literally at your fingertips.
Search by text or by ”drawing” on the interactive DEO background map – point, line or polygon to target the area of interest. Then, fine-tune your search in minutes by filtering results – and select the objects you need.
Each image you download is geo-rectified and GIS-ready, so converting to a GIS information layer is reduced from hours to minutes.
- Exclusive content. Only Datapages Exploration Objects gives you direct access to maps, tables, charts, seismic lines, cross-sections and other exploration objects in the vast AAPG Datapages Archives.
- Big savings on every map, section and seismic line. Because DEO delivers exploration objects geo-rectified and GIS-ready in the image format you choose and with complete GIS support files, you can save hundreds of dollars on each and every DEO object you download – in avoided labor-costs of GIS-conversion alone.
- Flexible, user-friendly search options. With DEO, you work with a live, interactive “background map.” In addition to searching by entering text, you can search by “drawing” on the map: point, line or polygon. DEO shows you available, indexed objects for the area you specify on the map – and the geographic areas these objects cover. You can even display objects as stacked “overlays” on the map, previewing composited information layers before you download the object images you select.
- Contextual information is delivered with each object: caption info, author, publication, and more. And with DEO, the original, published source for each object is only a mouse-click away.
- Built for petroleum geologists by petroleum geologists. DEO was built with the explorationist’s actual work in view, with images and indexing vetted and double-checked by experts. No other system makes it so easy to find the maps, seismic lines, cross-sections and other exploration objects you need. No other system’s interface is so intuitive or user-friendly. No other system gives you the power to bring to your analyses and evaluations comparable levels of comprehensiveness and granularity.
- Direct access to AAPG Archives. With DEO, you have direct access to more than half a million maps, cross sections, tables and other objects – with no committee of authors or editors deciding what they think will be useful to you and your organization.
- Highly competitive pricing: DEO subscription costs are only a small fraction of the price you’d pay for less robust search-and-retrieval tools.
For working explorationists, DEO sets the standards for search-and-retrieval system performance, ease of use, and value.
- Faster, easier, more powerful search and retrieval.
- Major savings in time, labor and costs.
- Evaluate opportunities at new levels of comprehensiveness and granularity. DEO can make any organization more competitive – and more profitable.
- Direct access: deep index of the AAPG Datapages Archives. Continuously growing; continuously updated.
- Intuitive, flexible interface. Search by text or by “drawing” on the interactive DEO map.
- Fast, easy drill-down to items you need by filtering search results.
- Contextual info – caption info, author, publication, and more – delivered with objects.
- Evaluate any object in its full, original context. With DEO, the article that is the object’s original source is always only a mouse-click away.
- Live overlays: Examine objects as stacked overlays on the DEO background map – to “preview” composited data before downloading the objects you select.
- Objects delivered GIS-ready. With DEO, each object is geo-rectified (assigned lat./long. values), manually classified as to image quality and legibility, and delivered in industry-standard GIS format and with industry-standard support files for fast, easy conversion for use as information layers in GIS.
- Quality: assured. All maps are manually assessed and classified by AAPG experts as to locational accuracy and readability – with metadata enriched to remove search obstacles: spelling and nomenclature variance, missing information, errors, etc.
- Access from any computer – anywhere. Put DEO to work on any computer – PC, Mac, Linux – with access via the Internet. No software installation required!
- Multiple delivery options. We’ll work with you to tailor DEO to your corporate needs and IT requirements. Access DEO via ArcGIS or Geoportal. Local installation of the DEO index – regularly updated, for local access control, reduced Internet traffic and total integration with your GIS. And more.
- Subscription levels tailored to the size and type of your organization.
- Unlimited access to all AAPG Datapages content: included in your DEO subscription.
- Highly competitive pricing.
Can I use DEO on my computer?
Yes! You can put DEO to work on any computer – PC, Mac or Linux – with no software to install. We'll also work with your organization on advanced access and delivery options tailored to your corporate needs and IT requirements.
Can I integrate DEO with my GIS?
Yes! With DEO, each object is geo-rectified (assigned lat./long. values), manually classified as to image quality and legibility, and delivered in industry-standard GIS format and with industry-standard support files for fast, easy conversion for use as information layers in GIS.
You can access DEO via the Internet. We’ll also work with larger organizations to meet their needs with additional options in full compliance with IT requirements. These options include local installation of the DEO index, DEO access DEO via ArcGIS or Geoportal, and more.
Does DEO mean massive data downloads and data management issues for my organization?
No. DEO content is maintained on AAPG Database Servers. FIles you choose to download are all delivered in the industry-standard image format you choose (.jpg., .tif or .png), geo-rectified and delivered with complete, industry-standard GIS support files. Downloads typically take only a few seconds.
- Datapages Exploration Objects is available under subscription to companies and academic institutions worldwide.
- DEO is a supplement to the AAPG Datapages Archives and requires an Archives subscription in place. Access is controlled under the same IP Authentication Admin process.
- DEO subscription is for one year. Subscription levels are based on the type of organization subscribing and on the number of users covered by the subscription. Your DEO subscription includes unlimited access to all AAPG Datapages content.
- To subscribe – or to get more information about DEO subscription for your organization – simply click here.